Filed under: Sustainable living
Started work on the washing machine chicken plucker this week. After doing the last batch by hand I decided to invest in an automatic plucker. Since commercial tub style pluckers cost over $1000 I thought I could make one. I did some research online and got the basic idea of how they work. I figured all I needed was an electric motor, 55 gallon plastic barrel, and some plucking fingers. Well, I scoured craigslist and found a working washing machine which provided the electric motor and plastic drum. I ordered the rubber fingers online and they arrived yesterday. I dismantled they washing machine and got to work. I kept the parts I needed and tossed the rest. I’m almost finished, just need to drill the holes for the fingers and put them in place. I should have it completed this weekend, then test it out on the rooster. In other news, we lost a broiler chick yesterday and another isn’t looking so well. We expected to lose a few but after the first week we’re usually in the clear. I will post more pictures of the plucker when it’s complete.
3 Comments so far
Leave a comment